IBS- Luke 8:22-25
(22) Now it happened, on a certain day, that He got into a boat with His disciples. And He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side of the lake.” And they launched out. (23) But as they sailed He fell asleep. And a windstorm came down on the lake, and they were filling with water, and were in jeopardy. And they came to Him and awoke Him saying, “Master, Master, we are perishing!” Then He arose and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water. And they ceased, and there was a calm. But He said to them “Where is your faith?” and they were afraid, and marveled, saying to one another, “Who can this be? For He commands even the winds and water, and they obey Him.”

The first thing that came to mind in verse 22 was how much faith Jesus’s disciples had. It did not say “Jesus said let’s go out to sea and five disciples said no Master not today and the others said okay I will follow.” No it said “And they launched” no complaining, no attitude, and no doubt about anything. That right there is so inspiring to read because that’s the kind of faith we need to have as Christ followers. Then we get into verse 23 when Jesus fell asleep. In this I thought of the times I fall asleep in a spiritual term. When I just put God on the sidelines and do my own thing. I tell myself I am able to do this life on my own and for my own and then it hits… the “windstorms” and the “raging waters” the self-centered sinner that I am creates this storm inside myself and nothing can calm me except- allowing Christ back in. Opening my heart and realizing I can’t do this life on my own and it isn’t even my own. It’s the one who created it all- God. The disciples woke Jesus up and immediately He calmed everything- this is so beautiful because it shows and demonstrates how simple it is to ask Jesus back into our lives- its up to us to believe just like these disciples did- they knew Jesus would be able to calm and help them and all they had to do and did was ask Him. Now even though they were “marveled” by this act they had to have been at peace knowing and actually being able to see and believe that Jesus was Gods son and has more power than anyone- all power. It also made me realize that I am not alone in my lack of faith even Jesus’s disciples had their faithless moments, but God continues to show us just how faithful He is always. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog