John 8:36
“Therefore, if the Son makes you free, you are free indeed.”
I have always wanted a tattoo of a swallow and this is how this all came about. Freedom is something I have always struggled with believing I had/ have even in Christ. In Hebrew, a swallow translates literally into “the bird of freedom”. They are known for their love of freedom and inability to be retained in captivity. It has a tireless wing and is recognized for its exhaustless flight. They constantly utter a sweet, low note. they nest in giant colonies, sometimes surrounded by hundreds of birds and they always drink on the wing, flying low to sip water as they go. If this is a bird, how much more can’t the Lord have in store for me? For He can make me free. Free of the things that surround me. The thoughts that I’m not good enough, the idea that I need to please everyone, that I need the world’s approval. Free of depression, anxiety, crippling fear, and old ways. Through Him I can have the strength to not be retained in captivity from anything that would want to hold me down. I would fly and not grow weary. I would remain constant in song, not letting anything interrupt the praise I give to the One who saved me. Never stopping, not even to drink, for in Him my thirst is filled. And breaking free of the feeling of loneliness. Allowing myself to be surrounded by a colony of people, hundreds and to feel at home. All because the Hope of glory. There is still so much to work on, and much to surrender, and fights to be fought. But this bird really reminds me of all that I have in Him- it reminds me that I don’t have to fight for the freedom. It is mine. It was handed to me at the cross, and I need only to accept it on the hard days instead of sitting on the corner of my bed becoming a version of myself that I don’t recognize. Because the Potter has made a good work in me. Its okay to love who you were made to be. Its okay to see the work in ourselves and accept it and cherish it and care for it and LOVE it. I am humbled that God sat at the working table and chose to mold me into something far better than what I was. I am so grateful that He hasn’t given up at the potter’s wheel and is still working and moving through me. And I am heavy with the feeling of humility knowing that He would care enough to spend time on me…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog